Thursday, February 24, 2011

History Of Cambodia

I have spend much of my time here really trying to get to know the people and understand the culture. I am honest when I tell everyone I have met has been kind and wonderful. Theirs lives are centered around family and taking care of each other.

To fully understand, Kate knew it was important to learn a huge part of the history. Mr. Phalley and Kate took me to the Toel Slang Musuem. Here I got a tour guide and went in alone. This was once a public high school which was taken over and used to torture anyone who was perceived in the way of the take over of Cambodia. Each classroom in the school was used to torture men, women and children. I am not going to post pictures, it was pretty intense.

It is estimated that approximately 2 million Cambodian citizens died during this time period.

The Khmer Rouge was the name given to the followers of the Communist Oarty of Kampuchea. They are who were the ruling political party in Cambodia from 1975 to 1979, led by Pol Pot.

This organization is remembered primarily for its policy of social engineering, which resulted in genocide. It's attempts at agricultural reform led to widespread famine, while its insistence on absolute self-sufficiency, even in the supply of medicine, led to the deaths of thousands from treatable diseases. The Khmer Rouge forced all people to country side to live simple and controlled lives. They were forced to work in the fields and to create irrigation systems. Brutal and arbitrary executions and torture carried out by its cadres against perceived elements (intelligent and educated people) Ultimately from what I understand they tortured and executed the countries most intelligent citizens as a way of taking control. So many people I have met here lives have been changed by this. This include Mr. Phally who's father was an engineer and was killed in 1976 when Mr. Phalley was eight. Nannie's husband was killed is the civil war leading up to the Khmer Rouge. She was left with 3 children under the age of 7. Her son was 2 months old when his father was killed.

This history is a huge part of life now in Cambodia. They continue to rebuild their lives and re-educate the people. Most educated men and women were killed. For years children did not attend school because children needed to work in order for what was left of the family to eat.

Today in Cambodia the Khmer Rouge is the reason why 50% of the population is under 21. Although most children want to attend the public school, children who attend the public school here only attend half day. Older school children attend in the morning and younger children in the afternoon.

Fishing along the river.

Today I am taking the 4 hour bus ride out to Siem Reap to visit Angkor Wat Temples. I will take tons of pictures. We are staying in a hotel there and will be returning in time for my flight home of Sunday. I am loving this experience but am getting quite homesick. If I can get wifi I will post pictures from Angkor Wat.

3 comments:

  1. That history is so incredibly sad. I love that the beauty of family and of taking care of each other is so important in their culture. I guess when so much is taken, that is all that's left. Enjoy the rest of your time there; what a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just caught up on reading about your trip and it is absolutely incredible! I love how you have touched upon so many aspects of your experience, but especially your time with the children. They are blessed to have such wonderful people like you and Kate to work with. We can't wait to hear more about the adventure when you return home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip sounds fabulous. I have a whole new appreciation for Cambodia and the Cambodian people. The work Kate is doing is so wonderful, and the kids are so lucky she has a friend like you who could give of her time, teaching talent and love of children. Have a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete