Monday, February 21, 2011

Everyday Life in Cambodia

People here are truly amazing. They live what appears to be very harmonious lives in such tight and crowded spaces. I speak and write the truth when I say, I have seen nothing but peaceful and happy people. They gather together in large groups in the open spaces and exercise, they sit around and talk, and everyone I have passed in the street and along the side of the rode smiles and waves. There is really something to be said about the statement, "it is all you know." Living this life is what they know. You can not long and wish for something that you are not aware of.

Driving along in the tuk tuk I spotted this sight and Kate said it was a wedding. They take place right along the side of the rode with tarps over the top and then beautiful decorations underneath. I peaked inside and they had an open pit where they were preparing the meal. I wish I had seen the bride and groom but they had not yet arrived.

I love weddings.

ALL along the road people are living their lives and trying to earn money by selling anything and everything. This is a typical "restaurant" found along the street. Most "restaurants" are carts and people are handed a small straw mat to sit along side of the cart."This one is fancy."


Seeing images like this are not uncommon:

[Sorry it is sideways but if you knew how long it takes to upload each image you would understand, and I have no idea how to flip it.]

She is sitting on a bicycle. Seeing a woman this age is rare. 50% of the Cambodian population is under 21 due to the Khmer Rouge. I will talk more about that in another entry.


This is the view from the apartment. It is taken from the balcony. We are on the top floor above a store. It is right along side of the river and really the prettiest part of the city that I have seen. This photo was taken at 6:30 a.m. which is the exact time each morning that the elephant takes his daily walk. In an hour from now the street below is completed filled with motor bikes, carts, some automobiles, and tuk tuks.

Mr. Phalley is picking me up in 20 minutes, so I need to pack up my bag with what I am taking to the orphanage today. I think I am bringing more plain paper and the dice so I can teach the girls some math games using dice.

2 comments: